The Mullins

Saturday, February 25, 2012

HIVES!!!!

My poor baby, and this picture was after they had gotten better!!!


It seems to be one thing after another around here lately.  On Monday I took Clayton to the Dr for what I thought was strep.  The Dr even thought it was strep, but after running a test, he decided it was viral.  Well, while I was there (I didn't have Hollis with me, Scott was off) I asked Dr. Cochran about these spots that I had seen on Hollis' belly that morning.  There were only 3 or 4 and they almost looked like bug bites at the time.  He didn't have any fever, and acted perfectly fine.  He didn't think it was anything to worry about unless it got worse, especially if there was no fever.  He said (which I assumed) that he couldn't really know for sure without seeing him.  Well, later Monday evening I was dressing Hollis for Kindermusik and when I took his PJ's off he was covered in big red blotches all over his chest, belly, back, in his diaper, and under and down his arms.  I couldn't believe it!  Still no fever, and he was as happy as could be, so I thought it must be an allergic reaction to something, but I couldn't think of anything new I had given him!  So I called the after hours and got him in at 7pm.  Thankfully (but comically since I had already seen him earlier in the day) Dr. Cochran was on at the after hours clinic.  I always feel so much better because my kids know him and trust him, and he knows their history.  We both smiled when he walked into the room...I said, "can you believe this?!"  His response was, "I'm guessing he has more than 3 or 4 of those spots now!"  As soon as I undressed him, he knew exactly what it was.  Hollis has been on amoxicillan for an ear infection, but this was the 10th and final day of it, and he had been on it before so I didn't think it could be that.  He explained that it was definitely the amoxicillan he was allergic too, and that it doesn't matter how many times they have taken it, that they can become sensitive to it.  Sooooo, we now know that Hollis is allergic to amoxicillan.  No more of that stuff!!!  The hives quickly went away, and we didn't even have to give him benedryl.  I'm just so thankful that his allergic reaction did not involve breathing issues!!!  Glad we found out early as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Followers